I have been in Guatemala for a week. The work I do here has proven challenging for me, in ways I never imagined. Today, I was left completely alone with a class of six year olds (thirty at least) because the teacher never showed up. I did not have a lesson plan of any kind so instead of teaching them, I had to keep them occupied. We made paper airplanes and I taught them words in english (like wing, and airport) and we threw them all over the room. Then, when they got bored of that, I marched them around the room, and taught them to run in English, to march in English, and we made faces (like sad, happy, silly) so that they could learn words in english. While they didn't retain much, they really enjoyed it. We also played music, and danced some. I know I can't be much of a kindergarten teacher, but at least I can amuse them and keep them from being obnoxious to their other school mates in other classes.
A lot of the work here has been a real challenge for me, but worth while. I mean, I don't always know what to do, but these kids always hug me and kiss me. I am usually just a teacher's aid. I give small lessons in English and I have a lot of fun doing it, but I'm glad this isn't a profession, and that I only have to do it for a few more weeks because it is very difficult. I imagine a lot of teachers don't get the respect they deserve. My god, I have a ton of it for anyone who does this everyday. The teachers never get angry at me when I make small mistakes, they are thankful just for my presence, and that means a great deal to me. I am sure I will be very sad when I leave.
I was able to see Tikal over the weekend, which has become the greatest thing I've ever done. The temples here are brilliant in construction, and the skies were open and clear beyond the jungle, and they looked like illuminant sky scrapers that went on for eons. I climbed up a few temples, which took a bit of exertion of my part, but the park is so beautiful it was worth it. I also went zip-gliding on the canopy tour, which was AMAZING.
I am assured more frequent updates are to come.
Monday, February 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds like you're having a lot of fun, despite a rocky start. It's nice to see you have the chance to do some exploring of the ruins and surrounding jungle. I recently watched the movie 'The Fountain' and I just want to say that if you happen to find a lost Mayan temple with a big tree near a pool of water, please bring me back some of the sap.. I would thank you eternally.
ReplyDelete